Electrical Safety Tips For Homeowners
Electrical Safety Tips For Everyday
The average percentage of electrical fires is only about 6%. It is best to ensure electrical wiring in your home is up to date. Electrical fires attribute to billions of dollars in property damage. It is important to have periodic electrical inspections on your home. The purpose of periodic inspections is to ensure the electrical in your home is still in good condition for continued use. Below are things that will indicate an issue and what to do in the event something like this happens.
Electrical Safety Tips: Appliances
Appliances are used daily in homes, whether it be a simple electric clock or microwave oven, here are some tips to help keep all appliances operating safely.
- Ensure all appliances purchased are approved by a reputable consumer laboratory.
- Unplug appliances that are not in use and safely put cords out of reach of pets and young children.
- Televisions, computer monitors, and clocks all generate heat and should be placed in areas that allow for good air circulation. NEVER drape clothes, toys or other items over warm appliances.
- Do not attempt to fix an appliance yourself.
- Keep all electrical appliances away from sinks, bathtubs, pools or overhead vents that drip.
- Do not operate appliances with wet hands or while standing in water.
- Do not put items that are combustible near radiators, space heaters or heating vents.
Electrical Safety Tips: Cords
All electrical appliances have a cord and these safety tips are intended to help keep cords in good condition for safe operation.
- Check cords before each use to ensure there is no frays, cracks or kinks in the cord.
- Cords should be firmly plugged into outlets.
- Do not staple or nail cords in position, use tape instead.
- Do not place cords underneath rugs. This prevents the cord from keeping as cool as possible.
- Do not modify cords in any way.
- Extension cords are intended for temporary use only.
Electrical Safety Tips: Issues
If you experience any of the following in your home, turn off the main electrical supply and call us IMMEDIATELY!
- Receive an electrical shock from an appliance
- Smell burning metal or plastic. This could indicate a loose or broken connection, a malfunctioning switch or light fixture, overheating component, sparking inside the walls or a damaged wire.
- Flickering or dimming lights. This could indicate a loose connection, overloaded circuits, improper wiring, or arcing and sparking inside the walls.
- Hot or discolored switch plates, cords or plugs. This could indicate overloading or product malfunction.
- A wavering picture on the TV or computer screen when a large appliance, such as your stove is in use. This could mean you have too many appliances plugged into one circuit, or that the home needs additional electrical capacity.
These issues could be very harmful and serious and requires a professional like Daniel’s Electric to be taken care of. Do not put it off as it could be very dangerous to your home and your family. This is by no means a complete list and if you are unsure and want to be make sure your home is safe do not hesitate to call us, so we can be sure your home is safe.