Energy Saving Tips For Summer to Save Money

Winter is still upon us, however, that means summer is quickly approaching. With that comes warmer weather and more outdoor activities. Unfortunately, summer months typically also bring higher electricity bills. In this article I will discuss some energy saving tips, how to keep cool, and how to keep some extra money in your pocket.


Energy Saving Tips: AC

Warmer temperatures means running the A/C for longer periods. When it comes to the A/C and keeping cool here are some tips to keep the electricity bill low and keep you cool.

energy saving tips image


Operate Thermostat Efficiently

When it’s hot individuals typically want to drop the A/C temperature a lot. If you drop the temperature too much this causes the A/C to run for longer periods. Set the thermostat as high as comfortably possible in the summer. The smaller the difference between outdoor and indoor temperatures the lower your electricity bill will be.

Keep your home warmer than normal when you are away, this way the A/C only turns on when you’re at home and need cooling.

When at home and need it cooler, avoid setting the thermostat to a cooler setting than you normally would, as this will not cool your home any faster and could result in excessive cooling, which will increase your electricity bill.

Replace Old Units

Replacing an outdated A/C unit could be causing a high electricity bill. An outdated unit typically works harder to cool your home which increases the amount of electricity used. Ensure your A/C unit has the power needed to cool your home.

Use Fans

Fans use less electricity than a typical A/C unit. Using fans when it is comfortable to do so will help save money. Using fans helps to circulate the cooler air in your home already which in turn means your A/C doesn’t have to work as hard to cool your entire home.

Use Alternative Methods for Cooking

If you use your oven daily, especially during the summer, it will heat up your home and the A/C  unit will need to be on for longer periods of time to cool to a temperature that is comfortable for you. The best time to barbecue is in the summer next to pool. Avoiding use of your oven during summer months will keep your home relatively cooler and save you money!

Change A/C Filters Regularly

Clean filters ensure the A/C unit is running efficiently. It is best to change the filter every 3 – 4 weeks based on certain factors, of course. If you have pets in your home the filters could become clogged faster. If pets are in the home you will need to change A/C filters more often. Clean A/C filters helps to remove mold, pollen, and other contaminants from the air. This is extremely crucial for people who suffer from allergies or asthma.

Keep Shades Drawn

If you plan to leave your home for an extended period of time, always keep the shades drawn. Keeping the sunlight out of your home while you are away will keep your home significantly cooler until you return home.

Ensure Pipes Are Sealed

Checking the pipes on the A/C unit ensures no cool air is leaking. If the pipes are leaking air that means a lot of cool air is not entering and cooling your home which increases the amount of time the A/C unit stays on which increases the electricity bill. Typically doing a check before you start using the A/C unit is recommended.

Fix Cracks and Leaks on Windows and Doors

This is important because you could potentially save up to 5% or more on the electricity bill if you fix cracks and leaks. As stated before the more air leaking from your home the longer the A/C needs to run to keep you cool. Ensure all cracks on windows and doors are fixed before you actually need to turn on the A/C unit for those hot summer months.

Service A/C Unit Regularly

Buying an A/C unit is an investment to your home. Make sure to keep it serviced to ensure the A/C unit is still in working order and still meets the needs of your home. It is recommended to service the unit every year.

Invest in Energy Efficient Light Bulbs

incandescent light bulb image

Did you know that the typical incandescent light bulbs only convert about 5% of their energy in to visible light. The other 95% is converted to heat. That is a lot of extra. If you use energy efficient lights instead there will be less heat in your home. During summer months no one wants the added heat when they are trying to stay cool. To learn more about LED light bulbs visit: Things You Should Know About LED Lights.

These are just some of the things you can do to help save energy during the summer months. If you are looking to upgrade your A/C but do not know if your homes electrical system can handle the upgrade, call us! We would love to help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *